Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My life has changed!

Hello, everyone! I apologize for vanishing off the face of the inter-webs for nearly a month. I've been very busy, and I have some exciting news to share! 

When I created my blog, the tagline was "The daily musings of a duck loving pet shop employee embarking upon Farmerhood" While I was driving home the other day, I realized that that tagline no longer applies to me. I'm still a duck-lover, that's never going to change. And I am no longer really embarking upon farmerhood. I moved off the acreage to live in the city with my boyfriend, so apart from my gardening, I'm not much of a farmer. And I am no longer a pet shop employee. My 2 years of employment in the pet shop industry has come to an end, as I have been hired at a Veterinary Hospital. Let me tell you, it's been a rough month, but I am coming around and loving my job. 

So, at the end of April I graduated from my journalism program. I now have a diploma, and it was an awesome feeling to complete my schooling. I was so done with school. Right after graduating I was hell-bent determined on getting a job at a veterinary clinic. 


Me, late April 2015:



Believe it or not, I was hired on the spot at one of the city's most popular 24hr emergency veterinary hospitals. This is a big deal! I was hired as an assistant to the hospital's AHT's and Veterinarians. It is my job to: 

  • run lab-work 
  • complete lab paperwork and enter results in the system
  • maintain the lab equipment  
  • write discharge notes and instructions
  • trim nails 
  • restrain animals
  • clean kennels 
  • walk dogs 
  • bag deceased animals
  • make memorial paw prints after a pet dies  
  • tend to the patients' IVs
  • feed the animals admitted in hospital 
  • call in and tend to all strays and wildlife
  • manage paperwork create discharge bins
  • make and sterilize surgical packs 
  • prep animals for surgery
  • set up, assist in, and clean the surgical suits 
  • and much, much more. 

I am now on rotation work (5 days on, 5 days off) and I work 11 hour shifts. Labs and surgeries prove to have rather steep learning curves, and I've been flooded with so much information.


Me, after learning about all my responsibilities:




I pretty much spent my first shift bagging dead cats, which I found incredibly difficult. I love animals very much, and I get attached to the patients rather easily. I get tremendously sad when I watch animals die, and I find it to be difficult to bag them and bring them to the morgue. 


Me, every time an animal dies:


Me trying to pretend that I didn't see an animal that needs bagging: 


Me, when I actually have to do the bagging:


After I put someone's pet in the freezer I feel like:



On one of my first shifts, I had to bag up a hare and her baby. Both were euthanized in hospital, and I was rather upset as the baby hare was just brand new and healthy. After bagging both up with the most tender care, I carried them downstairs to the morgue. Unfortunately, I forgot the code to get into the morgue, and couldn't get in. I ran back upstairs, and to my complete horror, couldn't find a single co-worker. Everyone was gone. There wast a veterinarian at the computer in triage, but he didn't know the code to the morgue. So I spent close to 15 minutes running around the hospital with dead bunnies in a bag, looking for someone who could help me get into the morgue. Fun stuff right there. I went home and cried that day, actually. 

While it's taking some time for me to get the hang of things, I'm really learning to love my job. I love my scrubs, and I love being with animals all day. Unfortunately, 90% of my patients bite and/or scratch me, and I am covered in cuts and bruises. I love it though. Animals are the best. I sincerely don't mind being covered in fur and having my arms and hands bedazzled with band-aids. I like working the centrifuge and using the refractometer to identify the USG of a urine sample. It's so cool. The only thing that's quite daunting is the amount of lab results I have to manually enter to patient files. On my last shift I had an actual mountain of paperwork. 

When I see stacks of paperwork on my lab desk: 



I'm so stoked with my job, and I feel confident that I am in my career. I'm currently deciding if I want to go to school to become a Vet Tech, or if I'm gonna go balls out and go for the full meal deal: 

DANIE THE DVM.

No comments:

Post a Comment